After a public hearing was held, the Board of Supervisors at its July 9 meeting voted unanimously to table to August 13 an Ordinance Amendment relating to regulating signs in various zoning districts for further review and changes.
The proposed sign ordinance would be a content neutral ordinance that prohibits all new billboards and further encourage the existing billboards to be refaced as either static sign faces or preferably electronic message display sign faces. There would also be an ordinance requirement to reface all other building mounted and freestanding signs within ninety (90) days with property managers and owners working with sign consultants to upgrade new business tenants’ signage along with the use of Grand Opening banners. Attention getting devices or other unique signage would not be permitted such as people and vehicles used as signs in or near the right-of-way.
The Board took exception to prohibited commercial signs on a parked automobile, motor vehicle, tractor trailer or trailer and limited duration signs on occupied property.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its meeting and work session:
• Received a report on the Public-Private Partnership Act.
• Received an update from President and CEO of Virginia’s Gateway Region.
• Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Ms. Ann Clark for her service to Prince George County.
• Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Emily Vinson for attaining the Girl Scouts Gold Award.
• Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Chelsea Philpot for attaining the Girl Scouts Gold Award.
• Approved on consent and presented a commendation to Daniele Milam for attaining the Girl Scouts Gold Award.
• Received a maintenance report from the Virginia Department of Transportation and unanimously decided not to move forward with a No Through Truck Restriction along Lansing Road between Halifax and Templeton.
• Received a report on the General Assembly Scorecard.
• Received a report on the Beechwood Manor Emergency Utilities Repairs.
• Received a status report on V-3 Employer.
• Received the County Administration Six-Month Work Plan for July – December, 2019.
• Unanimously approved the authority to advertise a public hearing to consider the dedication of an easement to Dominion Energy to extend electrical service in Scott Park.
• Unanimously approved an appropriation in the amount of $200,000 for the Commonwealth Opportunity Grant.
• Unanimously appointed Ms. Jean Grim for an interim term on the District 19 Community Services Board.
• Unanimously appointed Ms. Julie Walton Interim Planning Manager.