Upcoming Meetings & Events
Aug. 1-31 - "Cat-Tastic" summer Adoption Event with reduced cat and kitten adoptions, at the Prince George County Animal Services Center, 8391 County Drive, Disputanta, during regular operating hours. Call 804-991-3200 for more information.
Aug. 1-31 - "Food Drive" to benefit James House, at The Herb Basket, 5716 Courthouse Road, Prince George, during regular operating hours. Non-perishable, shelf-stable foods only with a special request for protein-based foods: nut-butters, snack bars, canned meat, hearty soups, oatmeal.
Sat., Aug. 10 - Prince George Farmers' Market continues at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Sat., Aug. 10 - Baltimore Orioles vs. Houston Astros bus trip sponsored by the Prince George Parks and Recreation Department, $70/person includes game ticket & bus ride. Depart Scott Park at 1:45pm. Contact 804-458-6164 to register.
Sat., Aug. 10 - Harbor Blast Country Blast w/ "Kenzie Kincaid" & "Main Street Station" at Appomattox Boat Harbor, 1604 Fine Street, Prince George. Gates open at 4:00pm. Tickets at $10 + FREE parking.
Sun., Aug. 11 - "13th Anniversary Celebration!" At Swader’s Sports Park (specials, games, prizes, DJ), 4725 Whitehill Boulevard, Prince George, from 1:00pm - 5:00pm.
Mon., Aug. 12 - Prince George Social Services Advisory Board will meet in the Social Services Office, 2nd Floor, 6450 Administration Drive, at 9:00am.
Mon., Aug. 12 - Drug Court for Prince George County, the City of Hopewell, and Surry County, at Prince George Circuit Court, 6601 Courts Drive, at 4:00pm.
Mon., Aug. 12 - Prince George County School Board Meeting in the Board Room, 3rd Floor of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, beginning at 6:30pm.
Tues., Aug. 13 - Rural Broadband Community Session, presented by PGEC Enterprises, LLC, at River's Edge Bible Church, 11311 James River Drive, at 5:30pm.
Tues., Aug. 13 - Prince George County Board of Supervisors Work Session & Public Meeting in the Board Room, 3rd Floor of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, 6:00pm & 7:00pm respectively.
Wed., Aug. 14 - Civilian Military Council Meeting and Luncheon (by invitation) at the Fort Lee Engagement Skills Training Facility, 1700 B. Avenue, beginning at 11:30am.
Wed., Aug. 14 - FEMA Flood Risk Review Meeting for Prince George County, in the Community Room of the Human Services Building, 6450 Administration Drive, from 1:00pm - 3:00pm.
Wed., Aug. 14 - "Caregivers Café" presented by Crater Community Hospice, at the Petersburg Public Library, Multi-purpose Room, 201 W. Washington Street, Petersburg, at 3:00pm.
Thurs., Aug. 15 - "Professional Development and Business Building Conversations" at the Hopewell/Prince George Chamber Office, 4100 Oaklawn Boulevard, Hopewell, from 8:00am - 9:00am.
Thurs., Aug. 15 - 2019 Farmers' Cookout, sponsored by James River Soil and Water Conservation District, at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, beginning at 5:30pm.
Fri., Aug. 16 - Petersburg Area Regional Tourism (PART) Board Meeting will be held in the Crater PDC Conference Room, 1964 Wakefield Avenue, Petersburg, beginning at 11:00am.
Fri., Aug. 16 – Prince George Employee Night at The Diamond (Richmond Flying Squirrels vs. Harrisburg Senators), 3001 N. Boulevard, Richmond. 7:00pm game time.
Prince George County Observes Another Successful National Night Out
Another successful National Night Out was observed August 6 at 31 locations around Prince George County. Law enforcement personnel credit the relationship with citizens as the prime reason for safe neighborhoods and low crime statistics.
Important Things to Know
• Greyhound passenger strips, demands to be let out and gets killed by car on I-95 in Prince George County. Details.
• 2020 VATI Grant Public Notice - Prince George County. Details.
• Girls Volleyball Season Preview: Statesmen Look to Follow Up On 2018 Success. Details.
• Busch Gardens reveals new scares for Howl-O-Scream. Details.
• Live horse racing returns to Colonial Downs after 5 year absence. Details.
• Prince George County Ruritan Annual Golf Tournament. Details.
• More people are dying from drugs in urban areas than in rural areas. Details.
• McDonald's new paper straws aren't recyclable - but its axed plastic ones were. Details.
• Krispy Kreme releases two new Reese's Peanut Butter filled doughnuts. Details.
• July was the hottest month ever recorded. Details.
• Commissioner of the Revenue issues nine new business licenses since July 19. Details.
• Prince George Majors reach semi-finals of the BIB Tournament in Colonial Heights.
• Longtime Prince George County Baseball Coach Mickey Roberts retires after 36 years.
• Seventy-eight Prince George County Government vehicles subject to latest Ford recall.
• Longtime Hopewell-Prince George Community Health Center Development Director Sheena McKenzie announces retirement at the end of August.
• Prince George County Government to apply for state broadband funds with Prince George Electric Co-Op a partner; community meeting August 13 at 5:30 p.m. at Rivers Edge Bible Church for interested citizens and businesses along and near Route 10.
• US Fish & Wildlife Service seeking public comment on proposed purchase of 300-acre parcel outside the James River National Wildlife Refuge.
• Tickets on sale for 45th Annual Burrowsville Ruritan Club Shrimp Feast from 4:30 p.m. - 7 p.m. September 25.
• Registration continues for Prince George County Inaugural E-Sports Open. Details.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• How to report pesky potholes. Details.
Quote of the Week
"If we could have but one generation of properly born, trained, educated and healthy children, a thousand other problems of government would vanish."
~ Herbert Hoover, 31st U.S. President