Catchin' Up On
Prince George County Government News
Prince George County, VA July 26, 2019
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Sat., July 27 - Prince George Farmers' Market at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, from 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Sat., July 27 - 2019 "Great Tomato Contest", sponsored by the Prince George Master Gardeners during the Farmers Market, at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, 8:00am - 10:00am.
Sat., July 27 - Dixie Youth Baseball 2019 AA (Coach Pitch) World Series (pool play begins) in Ruston, Louisiana. Game times vary.
Sat., July 27 - "Listening Session" with Del. Lashrecse Aird for all constituents at Union Train Station, 103 River Street, Petersburg, from 2:00pm - 4:00pm.
Sun., July 28 - Dixie Youth Baseball 2019 AA (Coach Pitch) World Series Pool Playoffs & Consolation Series in Ruston, Louisiana. Game times vary.
Mon., July 29 - "Selling To The Commonwealth" Workshop for Small Business Owners, presented by SBSD, the Prince George Econ. Dev. Dept. & H/PG Chamber, at the PG Public Library, 6605 Courts Drive, 9:00am-12:30pm
Mon., July 29 - Drug Court for Prince George County, the City of Hopewell, and Surry County, at Prince George Circuit Court, 6601 Courts Drive, at 4:00pm.
Tues., July 30 - Tri-Cities Area Chief Administrative Officers (CAO) Meeting will be held at the Country Club of Petersburg, 1250 Flank Road, Petersburg, at 12:00pm.
Tues., July 30 - Retirement Celebration for Steve Micas, County Attorney, in the Kines Employee Break Room, 2nd Floor of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, from 3:00pm - 5:00pm.
Tues., July 30 - Congressman McEachin's "Gun Violence Town Hall" w/ "Moms Demand Action", at Pathways-VA, 1200 W. Washington Street, Petersburg, beginning at 6:00pm.
Tues., July 30 - "AWARE" Wildlife Program (all ages welcome) at Burrowsville Community Center, 18701 James River Drive, beginning at 2:00pm.
Wed., July 31 - "Guns & Hoses" 4th Annual Softball Game fundraiser between the Prince George Police and the Fire/EMS Departments. The game admission is FREE and open to the public with concessions available, at
Scott Park - Upper Field, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, at 6:00pm.
Thurs., Aug. 1 - Filing Deadline for Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly and Permanently & Totally Disabled, at the office of the Commissioner of Revenue, 6602 Courts Drive, 1st Floor, Prince George. 5:00pm deadline.
Thurs., Aug., 1 - Hibachi Hut Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting at 6815 Commons Drive, Prince George, at 12:00pm.
Thurs., Aug. 1 - "40 Under 40" Celebration honoring individuals who are excelling in the community and professionally, at The SonaBank, 3012 Boulevard, Colonial Heights, VA, from 5:30pm - 7:30pm.
Aug. 1-3 - Virginia Sales Tax Holiday: Qualified school supplies, clothing/footwear, Emergency Preparedness Items & Energy-Efficient Products – Statewide.
Great Tomato Contest' Featured At Saturday's Farmers Market
The Prince George County Farmers Market will be open Saturday from 8 a.m. - 12:00 Noon at Scott Park. The featured event at this Saturday's Market is the 'Great Tomato Contest' from 8 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Important Things to Know
• Prince George County Coach Pitch All-Star Team begins play in Dixie World Series Saturday. Brackets.
• Watch the Dixie World Series. http://www.hicastsports.com/dixieyouthaa
• Community contributions reach almost $24,000 to help cover expenses for players, families of Prince George County Coach Pitch All-Star team competing in the Dixie Youth World Series.
• Prince George Police assist with carjacking. Details.
• Prince George Police Officer involved in two-car crash. Details.
• Inmate dies after 50 days in Riverside Regional Jail; investigation underway. Details.
• Local hip-hop artist convicted of murder in shooting death of older brother in Prince George. Details
• Doing this ONE THING before bed can significantly improve your sleep, researchers say. Details.
• The heat wave is causing sunflowers to bloom early. Details.
• Starbucks, in partnership with Nestle, is launching a line of creamers to reach customers at home. Details.
• Prince George Electric Co-Op gets broadband expansion funds. Details.
• Prince George County Students Earn $500 Scholarships at ITAC Advanced Manufacturing and Technology Camp. Details.
• Prince George Police K-9 Team graduates. Details.
• These sandwiches, salads from Target, Fresh Market recalled over Listeria fears. Details.
• Registration underway for Prince George County Inaugural E-Sports Open. Details.
• Prince George Police investigating shooting incidents. Details.
• Some types of Ragu pasta sauce are being recalled over possible plastic contamination. Details.
• Former 798,000-square-foot Ace Hardware warehouse in Prince George County sold for $21.72 million. Details.
• How General Mills is trying to save cereal. Details.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• How to report pesky potholes. Details.
• Pampers is making a ´smart' diaper. Yes, really. Details.
• Appomattox River Water Authority (ARWA) & South Central Wastewater Authority (SCWWA) begin process to replace retiring Executive Director Robert Wichser.
• Police officials gearing up for 31 sites around Prince George County for National Night Out activities.
• The Riverside Regional Jail Authority on July 25 elected Prince George County Sheriff Bucky Allin as Vice Chairman.
Quote of the Week
"The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either."
~ Mick Jagger, singer, musician and actor