Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2019 to better update our citizens and visitors to our website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Thursday, July 4 and Friday, July 5 in observance of the Independence Day holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Monday, July 8.
The Board of Supervisors will hold a Special Meeting at 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 2 in the Boardroom for the sole purpose of interviewing candidates for the County Attorney’s position.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its only regular meeting this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 9 in the Boardroom. A Worksession will precede the July 9 meeting at 6 p.m. Tentative topics include: (1) Public-Private Partnership Act; (2) Virginia Gateway Region activities; and (3) V3 Employer Program.
A BOS retreat will be held at 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 23 at the Central Wellness Center.
The 4th Annual Guns ‘N’ Hoses Charity Softball Game will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, July 31 at Scott Park. There is no admission and concessions will be available.
A ribbon cutting for the new ‘Virginia Physicians for Women’ facility at 1775 Lake Harley Drive in the Puddledock area will be held at 8 a.m. Monday, July 1.
Morelia Mexican Restaurant will have a soft opening beginning at 10:30 a.m. Monday, July 8 at 6619 Courthouse Road, the site of the former Luca’s Restaurant.
The Prince George Ruritan Club will break ground on its new facility off Ruffin Road at 2 p.m. Wednesday, July 17.
Fort Lee will host its ‘Fourth at the Fort’ Celebration from 4-10 p.m. on Thursday, July 4 at the Lee Club Lawn and Williams Stadium.
A Travel Baseball ‘Firecracker Championship’ Tournament will be held July 5-6 at 8:30 a.m. daily at the Prince George County baseball fields.
The Prince George County Farmers Market will be held every Saturday in July from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park. The 2019 ‘Great Tomato Contest’ will be held July 27 from 8-10 a.m. as part of the Farmers Market.
The Extension Leadership Council (ELC) will meet at 12:00 Noon Tuesday, July, 9 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Friends of Burrowsville Open Board Meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 9, at the Burrowsville Community Center, 18701 James River Drive.
Crater Community Hospice will host a ‘Caregivers Café’ at 3 p.m. Wednesday, July 10 at the Petersburg Public Library.
The Riverside Community Criminal Justice Board will meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 10 at a location to be determined.
The Recreation Advisory Commission will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, July 10 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
The Prince George Food Bank will host its Annual Cookout at 12:00 Noon Thursday, July 11 at Scott Park.
Parks & Recreation will host a ‘Movie in the Park’, with a showing of Lego Movie 2, at 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 12 at Scott Park.
The Harbor Blast Concert series will continue Saturday, July 13 and Saturday, July 20 beginning at 4 p.m. at the Appomattox Boat Harbor.
The Prince George County School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, July 15 in the Boardroom.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 16 in the Boardroom.
The Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) will meet at 4 p.m. Thursday, July 18 at the Central Wellness Center.
The James River Soil & Water Conservation District Board of Directors will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 18 at the Chesterfield Cooperative Extension Office at 9501 Lori Road.
The Crater Youth Care Commission will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, July 19 in the Green House facility.
The Petersburg Area Regional Tourism (PART) Board of Directors will meet at 11 a.m. Friday, July 19 at the Crater District Planning Office in Petersburg.
The Prince George Cooperative Extension Office will share the sampling results of the ‘Drinking Water Quality Program’ at 10:30 a.m. OR 6:00 p.m., Monday, July 22 at the Prince George Library.
The Riverside Regional Jail Authority will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 25 at the Jail’s administrative offices. A Finance Committee meeting will precede the regular meeting at 1:00.
The Appomattox River Water & South Central Wastewater authorities will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 25 at the Lake Chesdin offices.
The Prince George County Planning Commission will meet in the Board Room, 3rd Floor of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, on Thursday, July 25, at 6:30pm.
A ‘Selling to the Commonwealth’ Workshop will be held from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at the Prince George Library on Monday, July 29.
The Friends of Burrowsville will host a Wildlife Program at 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 30 at 6 p.m.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of July:
- The Board of Supervisors at its July 9 meeting will consider three reports: (1) VDOT; (2) General Assembly Scorecard; and (3) Beechwood Manor Emergency Utility Repairs.
- The Board of Supervisors at its July 9 meeting will a consider a resolution authorizing a public hearing to consider the dedication of an easement to Dominion Energy to extend electrical services in Scott Park.
- The Board of Supervisors at its July 9 meeting will consider selecting a firm for A&E services for the Jefferson Park Fire Station.
- The Board of Supervisors at its July 9 meeting will consider a resolution appropriating $200,000 to the Commonwealth Opportunity Grant for Service Center Metals.
- The Board of Supervisors at its July 9 meeting will consider a citizen appointment to the District 19 Community Services Board.
- The Board of Supervisors at its July 9 meeting will hold two public hearings: (1) New Sign ordinance; and (2) Modifying requirements related to Utility connections.
- The Board of Supervisors at its July 23 retreat will consider the following topics:
- Code compliance issues for the Central Wellness Center.
- US Census 2020 timeline and creation of Complete Count Committee.
- Memorandum of Understanding with the Public School Division.
- Update on the Burn Building.
- Employee compensation matters related to the pay study and compression.
- Expansion of the Recreation Advisory Commission.
- Utility matters related to the water/sewer master plan and future capital projects.
- Proposed new County Welcome signs.
- Proposed new Convenience Station.
- Activities are underway for various Parks & Recreation summer activities and registration is beginning for fall events. Information can be received at http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- Construction of stormwater projects in Birchett Estates and Cedar Creek will continue this month.
- Design and planning will continue this month on two utility extension projects on Route 156 and near the Food Lion Distribution Center.
- Negotiations will continue this month with a vendor for a new Public Safety Radio System.
- The process to hire an architect to design a new restroom/concession stand facility at New Scott Park will continue this month.
- Staff is reviewing a proposed master plan that has been created for New Scott Park by consultants.
- Prince George County, Fort Lee technology personnel working to implement new 9-1-1 agreement between the two entities.
- Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ and by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.