Catchin' Up On
Prince George County Government News
Prince George County, VA June 7, 2019
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Fri., June 7 – Prince George County Youth Public Safety Academy Orientation (hosted by the P.G. Fire/EMS & Police Departments), at the Central Wellness Center, 11033 Prince George Drive, Disputanta, at 6:30pm.
Sat., June 8 - Prince George Farmers' Market at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, from 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Sat., June 8 - LAST DAY For In-Person Absentee Voting * Special Saturday Hours* P.G. Registrar, 6602 Courts Drive, 2nd Floor, Admin. Building, from 9:00am - 5:00pm.
Sat., June 8 - Harbor Blast Surprise Reunion Concert! at the Appomattox Boat Harbor, 1604 Fine Street, Prince George. Gates open at 4:00pm. Tickets are $10 + FREE parking.
**The USA Gold Territory Championship Softball Tournament for June 8 & 9 has been canceled due to wet field conditions and inclement weather in the weekend forecast.**
Sun., June 9 - Ribbon Cutting and Opening Celebration (invitation) of new Prince George Fire/EMS Station 7 at the corner of Rte. 10 and Moody Road, 11800 Moody Road, North Prince George, 3:00pm - 5:00pm.
Mon., June 10 - Prince George Social Services Advisory Board meeting in the Social Services Office, 2nd Floor, 6450 Administration Drive, at 9:00am.
Mon., June 10 - Drug Court for Prince George County, City of Hopewell, and Surry County, at Prince George Circuit Court, 6601 Courts Drive, beginning at 4:00pm.
Mon., June 10 - Special Board of Supervisors Meeting (water issues at Jordan on the James), in the Board Room, 3rd Floor Administration Bldg., 6602 Courts Drive, at 6:30pm.
Mon., June 10 - Prince George County School Board meeting will be held at JEJ Moore Middle School, 11455 Prince George Drive, Disputanta, at 6:30pm, for 2018-2019 awards.
Tues., June 11 - Prince George County Board of Supervisors Work Session & Regular Public Meeting in the Board Room, 3rd Floor of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, 6:00pm & 7:00pm.
Wed., June 12 - "Caregivers Café" presented by Crater Community Hospice, at the Petersburg Public Library, Multi-purpose Room, 201 W. Washington Street, Peterburg, beginning at 3:00pm.
Thurs., June 13 - ARWA Board of Directors Public Hearing at the ARWA Offices, 21300 Chesdin Road, Petersburg, VA 23803, beginning at 2:00pm.
Fri., June 14 - FREE "Outdoor Movie Night", featuring Small Foot, presented by the Prince George Parks & Rec Department, at Scott Park, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George. 8:30pm showtime. Bring a lawn chair or a blanket and enjoy a movie in the park. NO outside coolers, food or drinks! Concessions will be available on site. In case of inclement weather please call 804-458-6164.
Fire & EMS Station #7 Will Be Dedicated on Sunday, June 9
Prince George County will dedicate its newest Fire & EMS Station - #7 - at 3 p.m. Sunday, June 9 at its location at Route 10/Moody Road. The public is invited to tour the facility.
Important Things to Know
• D-Day observance recalls memories for Vargo family. Details.
• Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM) sets Surface Engineering Research Day for August 7. Details.
• You can see Jupiter and its largest moons this month using binoculars. Details.
• Ninety arrested for gang-like activities in Richmond, Tri-Cities Region. Details.
• Drinking bottled water causes increase in microplastic particles in your body, study says. Details.
• Free fishing days in Virginia begin this weekend. Details.
• Walmart is getting rid of its blue vests. Details.
• US measles cases surpass 1,000. Details.
• Board of Supervisors calls Special Meeting June 10 to hear concerns regarding repairs for Jordan on the James Water System. Details.
• Researchers find another disease carried by ticks. Details.
• White meat is just as bad as red beef when it comes to your cholesterol level, study says. Details.
• Feed More providing meals for kids & teens with summer food program. Details.
• WalMart stepping up its incentives to recruit high school students. Details.
• Saying goodbye to ITunes. Details.
• 'The Muppet Movie' returns to theatres for 40th anniversary. Details.
• Fire is helping to save woodpeckers in Sussex County forest. Details.
• Prince George High School seniors take 'victory lap' back at elementary schools. Details.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• How to report pesky potholes. Details.
• How you can help support the victims and their families involved in the Virginia Beach shooting. Details.
• Dual Primary Election Information. Details.
• Perdue recalls 31,703 pounds of chicken products. Details.
• Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) publishes new brochure. Details.
• Amazon starts one-day shipping for millions of products. Details.
• Commissioner of the Revenue issues five new business licenses. Details.
• Here's how you can reinstate your suspended driver's license over unpaid fees. Details.
• Twenty-five cups of coffee per day still safe for your heart, study says. Details.
• Why Chipotle may raise prices on burritos. Details.
• State says Hopewell could be a model for future year-round schools. Details.
• Richmond newspaper tabs Johnny Oates as the greatest player to come from Prince George High School. Details.
• Johnsonville recalls 95,000 pounds of sausage over contamination fears. Details.
• Prince George High School's Javonte Harding wins state championship in outdoor track in the 100 meter dash.
• Longtime Prince George County Planning Manager Douglas Miles stepping away to take similar position in Fluvanna County.
• Delegate Emily Brewer announces she will host ‘Veterans Town Hall’ August 28.
Quote of the Week
"Despite everything, no one can dictate who you are to other people."
~ Prince, musician & actor