Upcoming Meetings & Events
Fri., May 3 - "Tip-A-Cop" Fundraiser for Special Olympics will take place at Nanny's Restaurant, 11900 South Crater Road, from 5:00pm to 9:00pm, with Prince George County Police Department Officers and staff.
Fri., May 3 - "Social Worker Circle of Care Awards", benefiting The American Heart Association, will be held at The Jefferson Hotel, 101 W. Franklin Street, Richmond, beginning at 5:00pm. Two Prince George Social Services employees have been nominated for the Social Worker of the Year in the Community category.
May 3 & 4 - "Into The Woods" presentation at Prince George High School, 7801 Laurel Spring Road, Prince George, with shows at 7:00pm on Friday, and 1:30pm & 7:00pm on Saturday. Tickets are $7 general admission and $5 with student ID.
Sat., May 4 - Prince George County Farmers' Market - 2019 Season Kick-off will be held at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, from 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Sat., May 4 - Pet Adoption Event during the Hometown Heroes Race Events at Scott Park, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Sat., May 4 - Hometown Heroes 5K Race, Little Hero 1-Mile Fun Run, & Kinder Dash, at Scott Park, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George. The 5-K will start at 8:30am.
Sat., May 4 – “Community Day”, sponsored by The Woman's Club of Prince George, *Rain or Shine*, at the Scott Park, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, 10:00am - 3:00pm.
Sat., May 4 - Community Art Exhibit, sponsored by Prince George Parks & Recreation, at the Prince George Library, 6605 Courts Drive, Prince George, from 10:00am - 3:00pm.
Sat., May 4 - Harbor Blast "Tequila & Taco Festival", at Appomattox Boat Harbor, 1604 Fine Street, Prince George. Gates open at 4:00pm. Tickets $10 + FREE parking.
May 6-10 - National Police Week
Mon., May 6 - Friends of Burrowsville School, Inc. Annual Board Meeting will be held at the Burrowsville Community Center, 18701 James River Drive, Disputanta, at 7:00pm.
Wed., May 8 - "Caregivers Café" presented by Crater Community Hospice, will be held at the Petersburg Public Library, Multi-purpose Room, 201 W. Washington Street, Peterburg, at 3:00pm.
Wed., May 8 – Prince George Recreation Advisory Committee Meeting will be held at the Parks & Recreation Community Center, 11100 Old Stage Road, at 4:00pm.
Wed., May 8 – Prince George Rotary Annual Scholarship Picnic Honoring Jerry Taylor & Earl Hale, Jr. will be held at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, from 4:00pm - 7:00pm. Tickets are $25/adult.
Thurs., May 9 - Ladies Auxiliary (Burrowsville VFD) Meeting will be held at the Burrowsville Community Center, 18701 James River Drive, Disputanta, at 7:00pm.
Fri., May 10 - John Tyler Community College 2019 Commencement Ceremony will be held at VSU Multipurpose Center, 20809 2nd Ave., Petersburg, beginning at 4:00pm.
VACo Region 1 & 4 Supervisors Gather Information at Fort Pickett
Chairman Donald Hunter, Supervisor Marlene Waymack & County Administrator Percy Ashcraft attended the Region 1 & 4 meeting hosted by the Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) on April 30 at Fort Pickett. A number of topics were shared including updates on Animal Services' regulations.
Important Things to Know
• E. coli outbreak from tainted beef expands. Details.
• VDOT to close Arwood Road May 8 for railroad crossing repairs. Details.
• Susan Kitchens honored as Prince George County Public School Division 'Support Staff Member' of the Year. Details.
• Utilities Department to begin Annual Water Flushing Program May 6. Details.
• Over 250,000 Starbucks presses recalled because of laceration risks. Details.
• Riverside Regional Jail Officer Joseph LaVigne wins top state honor. Details.
• Upcoming Prince George High School athletic events. Details.
• Prince George Police Department announces administrative changes for fingerprinting services. Details.
• Prince George Master Gardeners unveils details of plant sale & clinic on May 18. Details.
• Public asked to weigh in on naming of new Prince George County Police Department K-9. Details.
• More young people, especially girls, are attempting suicide by poisoning, study says. Details.
• Drug deaths are down in Virginia for the first time in six years. Details.
• VSU athletes raise thousands to give Petersburg students new shoe and socks. Details.
• May Message from the County Administrator. Details.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• How to report pesky potholes. Details.
• Prince George County Public School Division announces results of water samples tests. Details.
• Burger King will serve 'Impossible Whoppers' nationwide. Details.
• Prince George Public School Division Superintendent Renee Williams announces retirement, effective August 1; School Board to appoint Lisa Pennycuff as successor. Details.
• Euthanasia rates have dropped considerably at the Prince George Animal Center since 2012.
• Motorists are encouraged to be on the look-out for increased bear sightings along rural roadways.
• Richmond airport officials explain low-flying plane circling around from time to time is a military aircraft.
• Organizers collect 396 pounds of expired and/or unused prescriptions at 'Drug Take Back Day' April 27.
• Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) cancels May 20 meeting because of no cases to be heard.
• Maintenance activities planned for Cedarwood water system; customers issued mandatory use restrictions. Details.
• VDOT announces alternating lanes and ramps to close for paving on I-95 in Prince George County. Details.
Quote of the Week
"Becoming successful is a relentless pursuit. It's good that it's that way: When it does come, you learn to know how to appreciate it, and know how lucky you are to be doing something that you love so much."
~ Frankie Valli, singer.
Percy C. Ashcraft, County Administrator | Prince George County, VA | (804) 722-8600
Fax (804) 732-3604 | email@example.com | www.princegeorgecountyva.gov