Catchin' Up On
Prince George County Government News
Prince George County, VA March 22, 2019
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Feb. 15 - April 30 - Statewide Burn Law in effect: No burning BEFORE 4:00PM (this includes campfires, brush fires, etc.). Please contact the Virginia Department of Forestry with any questions at 434-977-6555.
March 21-23 - "James and the Giant Peach Jr." musical production by JEJ Moore Middle School Students, at JEJ Moore Middle School, 11455 Prince George Drive. Showtimes: 3pm Thurs. / 7p Fri. & Sat. Tickets at $5.
Fri., March 22 - MLB 2019 Pitch Hit and Run Contest will be held at JEJ Moore Sports Complex, 11455 Prince George Drive, Disputanta, starting at 6:00pm.
Fri., March 22 - "Paint Party" to benefit Crater Community Hospice ($35/person registration), at Side Street Gallery, 127-129 Pickwick Avenue, Colonial Heights, from 6:30pm - 9:30pm.
March 22 & 23 - Government Employee Nights for "Bright Star" (special ticket pricing), at Swift Creek Mill Theatre, 17401 Jefferson Davis Highway, South Chesterfield. 8:00pm showtimes both evenings.
Fri., March 23 - 1st Annual Prince George Arm Wrestling Tournament ($20/registration for women & men) at the Central Wellness Center, 11033 Prince George Drive, Disputanta, beginning at 1:00pm.
Mon., March 25 - "Community Coffee", Hopewell/Prince George Chamber Member Meeting and Networking at Guncotton Coffee & Gallery, 238 E Broadway, Hopewell, from 8:00am - 10:00am.
Mon., March 25 - Prince George TRIAD Meeting will be held at the Prince George Public Library, 6605 Courts Drive, at 1:00pm.
Mon., March 25 - Drug Court Graduation Ceremony for Prince George County, the City of Hopewell and Surry County, at the Prince George Circuit Court, 6601 Courts Drive, beginning at 3:00pm.
Tues., March 26 - Prince George County Board of Supervisors Public Meeting in the 3rd Floor Board Room of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, beginning at 7:00pm.
Wed., March 27 - "Introduction to Industry 4.0" by GENEDGE (pre-registration at www.tinyurl.com/ycm62anm) to be held at CCAM, 5520 W. Quaker Road, Disputanta, from 10:00am - 2:00pm.
Wed., March 27 - "Wednesday Chill", a Hopewell/Prince George Young Professionals Meetup, will take place at Hopewell Bowling Center, 115 S. 15th Avenue, Hopewell, beginning at 5:30pm.
Thurs., March 28 - Planning Commission Meeting in the 3rd Floor Board Room of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, beginning at 6:30pm.
Thurs., March 28 - "Hip Hop + Hops" is a 1-hour adult hip hop class, no experience necessary, at The Barns of Kanak, 5503 Ruffin Road, Prince George, beginning at 6:30pm. $10 per person.
Thurs., March 28 - 92th Basic Law Enforcement Academy Graduation (Crater Criminal Justice Training Academy), at Good Shepherd Baptist Church, 2223 S. Crater Road, Petersburg, beginning at 7:00pm.
Thurs., March 28 - "Shine on Moonshiners" with Jeanie Langford of Appomattox Regional Library System, at the Burrowsville Community Center, 18701 James River Drive, at 7:00pm.
Two Die, Numerous Injured in Charter Bus Accident at Exit 45
An accident involving a charter bus with 57 people on board crashed on the northbound ramp on Exit 45 on March 19. Two people lost their lives and numerous passengers were injured. Details. Crash. Driver.
Important Things to Know
• 69,000 pounds of Tyson chicken strips recalled. Details.
• Dollar General Baby Cough Syrup recalled over contamination risk. Details.
• Report says number of Fetanyl deaths have risen over 1,000 percent in five years. Details.
• Governor Northam signs law slashing sales tax for hygiene products. Details.
• Starbucks is modernizing its stores. Details.
• Burn ban in effect until April 30. Details.
• Previewing the 2019 high school softball season. Details.
• Prince George High School Softball Fundraiser. Details.
• John Randolph Foundation welcomes new trustee & officers. Details.
• WTVR television station in Richmond to be sold. Details.
• Drinking very hot tea almost doubles the risk of cancer, study says. Details.
• Apple brings back iPad air, revamps iPad mini. Details.
• Prince George County trade regular jobs for day of picking up litter. Details.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• How to report pesky potholes. Details.
• Fort Lee recently opens new DMV office.
• Virginia Economic Department Partnership (VEDP) set to launch new workforce initiative.
• Governor Northam signs bill that will allow schools to open before Labor Day.
Quote of the Week
"We meet aliens every day who have something to give us. They come in the form of people with different opinions."
~ William Shatner, actor.
Percy C. Ashcraft, County Administrator | Prince George County, VA | (804) 722-8600
Fax (804) 732-3604 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.princegeorgecountyva.gov