Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2019 to better update our citizens and visitors to our website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its regular meetings this month on Tuesday, April 9 and Tuesday, April 23 beginning at 7 p.m. in the Boardroom. A worksession will precede the April 9 meeting at 6:00. The tentative topics to be discussed are: (1) Marl Bank Drive stormwater project request; (2) Position Control Chart request for the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office; and (3) 2019 General Assembly update.
Prior to the April 23 meeting of the Board of Supervisors, a reception commemorating National County Government Week will be held from 5-7 p.m. in the John Kines Employee Breakroom.
The Board of Supervisors will hold a Budget worksession at 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 3 in the Boardroom. A public hearing will be held on the FY ’20 Budget at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23 in the Boardroom as part of the regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors.
Members of the Board of Supervisors and County Staff will participate in a joint meeting of Region one and four of the Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) at 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 30 at Fort Pickett Officer’s Club.
Parks & Recreation will host the Appomattox River Regional Park 5K Trail Run beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 6.
Two travel baseball tournaments will be held this month at Prince George baseball fields: (1) Quest for the Best on April 6-7; and (2) USSSA Wood Bat Blast Baseball Tournament April 27-28. Games begin at 8 a.m. daily.
The Prince George Animal Services & Adoption Center will host an ‘Adoption Event’ from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Tractor Supply on Saturday, April 6.
The Prince George Social Services Advisory Board will meet at 9 a.m. Monday, April 8 at the offices of the Social Services Department.
The Extension Leadership Committee (ELC) will meet at 12:00 Noon Tuesday, April 9 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Riverside Regional Jail will host the 21st Annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 9.
The ‘Little Feet Meet’ for Special Olympics will be held from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 10 at Prince George County.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 15 in the Boardroom.
The Prince George Business Roundtable will hold its next meeting at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, April 10 at the Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM).
The Crater Community Hospice will host a ‘Caregivers Café’ at 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 10 at the Petersburg Library.
The Southside Virginia Association of Realtors will host a breakfast at 8 a.m. Thursday, April 11 at Luca Italian Restaurant.
The Virginia’s Gateway Region will hold its Annual Meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 11 at the Keystone Truck & Tractor Museum.
The Fire & EMS Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 18 in the Boardroom.
The Burrowsville Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary will host a ‘Paint Nite’ at 6 p.m. Friday, April 12 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
Parks & Recreation will host ‘Opening Day Ceremonies’ for baseball/softball and hold a Field Dedication Ceremony for Thomas Bendall at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 13 at the Moore Sports Complex.
The Social Services and Police departments will host a ‘Toddler Fair’ from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, April 13 at the Prince George Library and Scott Park.
The Appomattox River Wine Festival will be held from 12:00 Noon – 6 p.m. Saturday, April 13 at the Appomattox Boat Harbor.
The Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 25 in the Boardroom.
Rowanty Technical Center will host a Job Fair at 9 a.m. Monday, April 15.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 17 in the Boardroom.
The 12th Annual Richard Bland College Foundation Golf Tournament will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 16 at the Petersburg Country Club.
Fort Lee will host a ‘Procurement Conference & Expo’ Wednesday, April 17 at the Lee Club.
The Prince George Industrial Development Authority (IDA) will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, April 17 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The James River Soil & Water Conservation District Board of Directors will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18 at the Prince George Library.
A Dedication Ceremony of the ‘Reggie Jones Gymnasium’ at the Central Wellness Center will be held at 6 p.m. Friday, April 19.
‘Clean Community Day’ will be held from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, April 20 in the Police Department Parking Lot.
A ‘Book Sale’ will continue at the Burrowsville Community Center from 10 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Saturday, April 20.
Parks & Recreation will host its Annual Easter Egg Hunt at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, April 20 at Temple Park.
Prince George TRIAD will meet Monday, April 22 at 1 p.m. at the Prince George Library.
Prince George County employees will participate in ‘Denim Day 2019’ on Wednesday, April 24.
A workshop on writing business plans will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday, April 25 at the Prince George Library.
Riverside Regional Jail will host Judicial Open House tours April 25-26 from 5-8 p.m. each day.
The Friends of Burrowsville School will host a ‘Spring Plant Sale’ from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Saturday, April 27 at the Burrowsville Community Center.
Parks & Recreation will host a ‘Community Yard Sale’ from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., on Saturday, April 27, at Temple Park.
‘National Drug Take Back Day’ will be held Saturday, April 27 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Prince George Police Department Parking Lot.
The Annual Kite Festival and 1K Fun Run will be held from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., on Saturday, April 27, at Temple Park.
The Prince George Heritage Center will host a 10th Anniversary Celebration from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, April 27.
The Harbor Blast Concert series will begin at 4 p.m. Saturday, April 27 at the Appomattox Boat Harbor.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of April:
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 9 meeting will receive two reports: (1) the monthly VDOT report; and (2) 2019 Farmers Market.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 9 meeting will hold three (3) public hearings: (1) Eastern Star Chapter & Masonic Lodge leasing space at the Central Wellness Center; (2) Equalization of real estate tax rate based on assessment; and (3) Establishment of 2019 Tax rates for all categories.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 9 meeting will consider authorizing Staff to advertise a public hearing to consider ordinance changes related to duties of the County Administrator.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 9 meeting will discuss the application for an ABC License from Prince George Farms, Inc. (Sheetz).
- The Board of Supervisors will consider authorizing Staff to advertise a public hearing for the VDOT Six-Year Secondary Plan.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 9 meeting will consider awarding a contract for administration of the Employee Cafeteria Plan.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 23 meeting will consider two reports: (1) Regional Heritage Center; and (2) Quarterly Financial Report.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 23 meeting will consider a new administrative policy pertaining to ‘Workplace Wellness.’
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 23 meeting will consider revisions to the Position Control Chart.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 23 meeting will consider renewals for employee health, dental & vision insurance.
- Activities are underway for various Parks & Recreation spring activities and registration is finalizing for summer events. Information can be received at www. http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- Construction will move forward this month on a new fire station along Route 10/Moody Road.
- The new courtroom located in the Lower Level of the Courthouse is expected to be near completion this month.
- Construction of stormwater projects in Birchett Estates and Cedar Creek will continue this month.
- Construction will continue this month on a new building for the Virginia Physicians for Women and Sheetz Convenience Store in the Puddledock area.
- New home construction continues in the subdivisions of Eagle Preserve, the Meadows and Brickhouse Landing.
- Design and planning will continue this month on two utility extension projects on Route 156 and near the Food Lion Distribution Center.
- Construction will take place this month on a new sidewalk between the Police Department and the administrative offices.
- Planning meetings will begin this month on the construction of a new fire station at Jefferson Park.
- Registration has begun for the 2019 Citizens Academy. Contact email@example.com for details.
- Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.