Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2019 to better update our citizens and visitors to our website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Monday, February 18 in observance of President’s Day. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, February 19.
The Board of Supervisors and County Staff will participate in the signing of an Intergovernmental Service Agreement (IGSA) with representatives from Fort Lee at 11:30 a.m. Friday, February 8 in the Prince George County Emergency Operations Center. The agreement establishes a collaboration involving E-911 services.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its regular meetings this month on Tuesday, February 12 and Tuesday, February 26 beginning at 7 p.m. in the Boardroom. A worksession will precede the February 12 meeting at 6:00. Tentative topics to be discussed are: (1) Appomattox River Water Intake; (2) Utility Pro Rata Share Plan; (3) Utility Connection Fees; (4) City of Petersburg Billing Process; (5) Utility Conservation Plan; (6) Virginia American Water Increase Update; and (7) Commonwealth of Virginia (COVA) 457 Plan.
I will be presenting the proposed Budget for Fiscal Year 2019-20 at the February 26 meeting of the Board of Supervisors.
An Employee Wellness Fair will be held Friday, February 1 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the Central Wellness Center.
Prince George County employees will be participating in the Annual Polar Plunge on Saturday, February 2 at Virginia Beach. Funds raised will be contributed to Special Olympics.
The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM) will host ‘Research Day’ from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Wednesday, February 6. Members of the Board of Supervisors and County Staff will be in attendance.
Prince George Electric Cooperative will hold a public meeting from 5:30 – 7 p.m. Thursday, February 7 at Oakland Baptist Church to discuss further expansion of its broadband program.
The Riverside Regional Jail Authority’s Finance Committee will meet at 1 p.m. Monday, February 11 in the Jail’s administrative offices.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, February 11 in the Boardroom.
The Fort Lee Civilian Military Council will meet at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, February 13 at Union Station in Petersburg.
Crater Community Hospice will host a ‘Caregivers Café’ at 3 p.m. Wednesday, February 13 at the Petersburg Library.
The James River Soil & Water Conservation District Board of Directors will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, February 21 in the Prince George Library.
The Fire & EMS Advisory Board will hold a worksession at 6 p.m. Thursday, February 21 at the Central Wellness Center.
A ‘Business Breakfast & Scholarship Recognition’ in observance of Black History Month will be held from 8-10 a.m. Friday, February 22 at Virginia State University.
Burrowsville Community Center will host “Black Migrations” in observance of Black History month, with impersonators, music and food, on February 22, beginning at 7:00pm.
Prince George TRIAD will meet at 1 p.m. Monday, February 25 at the Prince George Library.
The Prince George Business Roundtable will seat the Class of 2019 at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, February 27 at the Prince George Library.
The Hopewell-Prince George Chamber of Commerce will hold its Annual Membership Meeting at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, February 28 at Upper Shirley Vineyards.
The Riverside Regional Jail Board will meet at 12:00pm on Thursday, February 28, at the Jail Offices.
The Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, February 28 in the Boardroom.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of February:
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will receive two reports: (1) VDOT; and (2) Property Maintenance & Inoperable Vehicles.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will consider revisions to Employee Personnel Policies.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will discuss 2018 Department Annual Reports.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will discuss proposed changes to the Crater Workforce Investment Board Agreement.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will consider authorizing Staff to advertise a public hearing to consider condemnation of a temporary construction easement for a stormwater project.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will consider applying for a RSAF Grant for Fire & EMS.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will consider the purchase of a generator for the new Fire Station on Route 10.
- The Board of Supervisors at February 12 meeting will consider authorizing Staff to advertise a public hearing to consider approval to lease a portion of the Central Wellness Center to the Prince George Woman’s Club.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will consider an appointment to the John Tyler Alcohol Safety Action Program.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 12 meeting will consider an ordinance allocating $0.02 of the Real Estate Tax for fire apparatus replacement for the Fire & EMS system.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 26 meeting will consider authorizing Staff to advertise a public hearing to amend the Utility Connection Fee ordinance.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 26 meeting will consider authorizing Staff to advertise a public hearing for a Utility Conservation Plan.
- The Board of Supervisors at its February 26 meeting will consider citizen appointments to the Board of Grievance Appeals and the Appomattox River Water Authority.
- Activities are underway for various Parks & Recreation winter activities and registration is finalizing for spring events. Information can be received at www. http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- Construction will move forward this month on a new fire station along Route 10/Moody Road.
- The new courtroom located in the Lower Level of the Courthouse is expected to be near completion this month.
- Construction of stormwater projects in Birchett Estates and Cedar Creek will continue this month.
- Construction will continue this month on a new building for the Virginia Physicians for Women and Sheetz Convenience Store in the Puddledock area.
- New home construction continues in the subdivisions of Eagle Preserve, the Meadows and Brickhouse Landing.
- Design and planning will continue this month on two utility extension projects on Route 156 and near the Food Lion Distribution Center.
- Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.