Catchin' Up On
Prince George County Government News
Prince George County, VA January 25, 2019
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Jan. 2 - Feb. 1 - 2019 Prince George County Spring Sports Registrations (baseball, softball, blast ball, soccer), at the P.G. Parks & Recreation Office, by calling 804-458-6164, or web site to register. Office hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday-Friday.
Jan. 25-27 – “Food Challenge Weekend”, sponsored by the Prince George 4-H/Extension Office, at the Airfield 4-H Educational Center, 15189 Airfield Road, Wakefield, VA 23888.
Jan. 25 & 26 - "Cyrano de Bergerac" Government Employee Nights at Swift Creek Mill, 17401 Jefferson Davis Highway, South Chesterfield. 8:00pm showtimes with special pricing for government employees.
Mon., Jan. 28 - Prince George TRIAD meeting will be held in the Prince George Library, 6605 Courts Drive, beginning at 1:00pm.
Mon., Jan. 28 - Drug Court (Prince George, Hopewell, Surry) will take place at the Prince George Circuit Court, 6601 Courts Drive, beginning at 4:00pm.
Tues., Jan. 29 - James River SWCD Farmer's Breakfast and Recertification Class will be held at the Chesterfield Central Library, Meeting Hall, 9501 Lori Road, Chesterfield, from 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Tues., Jan. 29 - Tri-Cities Area Chief Administrative Officers Meeting will be held at the Country Club of Petersburg, 1250 Flank Road, South Prince George, at 12:00pm.
Wed., Jan. 30 - "Chamber After Hours" New Year Networking Kickoff (a Hopewell/Prince George Chamber Event) at Touchstone Bank, 4300 Crossings Boulevard, Prince George, from 4:00pm - 6:00pm.
Thurs., Jan. 31 - VACo 2019 County Government Day in Partnership with VAPDC's 50th Anniversary at the Omni Richmond Hotel, 100 South 12th Street, Richmond, from 11:00am - 2:00pm.
Feb. 1-3 - The 4-H Space Camp, for Prince George County youth ages 9-13, sponsored by the P.G. 4-H/Extension Office, will be held at the Airfield 4-H Educational Center, 15189 Airfield Road, Wakefield, VA 23888.
Girls Parks & Recreation Night at Girls High School Basketball Game
It was Girls Basketball Parks & Recreation Night at the Girls High School Basketball Game on January 24 between Prince George & Petersburg. The Lady Royals responded to the support by defeating their regional rivals, 56-45.
Important Things to Know
• 68,000 pounds of chicken nuggets recalled by Perdue. Details.
• Condition of Jefferson Park Volunteer Fire Station causing Board of Supervisors to ponder replacement. Details.
• Prince George County affected by Federal Court's decision to redraw House of Delegate maps. Details.
• General Mills recalling some five-pound bags of flour. Details.
• Recap of January 22 BOS meeting. Details.
• Virginia drivers ranked among the worst in the USA. Details.
• 'Sweetheart's Conversation Candy' will be missing this Valentine's Day. Details.
• VHSL panel votes down changes to off-season practicing policy. Details.
• Hopewell-Prince George Community Center among health facilities receiving funds. Details.
• Starbucks rolls out delivery services. Details.
• Blood test could detect Alzheimer's Disease 16 years before symptoms begin. Details.
• Registration underway for Appomattox Trail Run. Details.
• New Virginia car inspection stickers are smaller. Details.
• Update on happenings at the General Assembly. Details.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• Prince George High School sports schedule and results. Details.
• What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• Crater Planning District looking to fill Planner position. Details.
• New business licenses issued by the Commissioner of the Revenue. Details.
• Prince George Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) elects Charles Leonard Chair, Carol Woodward Vice Chair at its organizational meeting January 23.
• Prince George Planning Commission elects Joe Simmons Chair, Alex Bresko Vice Chair at meeting January 24.
• The Industrial Development Authority on January 16 elected its leadership for 2019: William Young, Chairman; Derrick Johnson, Vice Chairman; Richard Henshaw, Secretary; and Lewis Wyche, Jr. as Treasurer.
• Prince George County Government sent a gift to Dinwiddie County’s new Government Center, which was a case to display their original County seal that is hanging in their hall lobby.
• Delegate Emily Brewer's 2019 Session Update - Week 3. Details.
• Southside Physicians Network has opened a new OB/GYN office located at 4221 Crossings Boulevard behind Starbucks. The new office is now open with five providers. Call (804) 765-5206 to make an appointment.
Quote of the Week
"Strength of mind is exercise, not rest."
~ Alexander Pope
Percy C. Ashcraft, County Administrator | Prince George County, VA | (804) 722-8600
Fax (804) 732-3604 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.princegeorgecountyva.gov