The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting elected its leadership for 2019.
Supervisor Donald Hunter was elected Chairman and Supervisor Floyd Brown, Jr. was elected Vice Chairman. Chairman Hunter represents District 2 and Vice-Chairman Brown represents District 1.
Chairman Hunter is beginning his fourth year on the Board of Supervisors and this will be his first stint as Chairman after serving as Vice-Chairman in 2017 and 2018. Vice-Chairman Brown is beginning his second year and this will be his first leadership post.
Upon accepting their positions, Chairman Hunter and Vice-Chairman Brown thanked Supervisor Alan Carmichael for his leadership as Chairman in 2018.
Also part of the organizational meeting, the BOS ratified its by-laws; 2019 meeting schedule; and Board appointments to the Crater District Planning Commission, the Metropolitan Planning Commission, the Virginia Gateway Region, and the Local Emergency Planning Committee.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its Worksession and Meeting:
• Received a report from VDOT.
• Approved on the Consensus Agenda a resolution appropriating Adult Education Space Grant funds in the amount of $5,991.78.
• Presented awards to the Christmas Decoration Winners, the Christmas Car Contest Winner, and the Christmas Parade Winners.
• Received a report from County Engineer Frank Haltom on utility connection fees.
• Received a report from Finance Director Betsy Drewry on RVA Solar Fund.
• Received an update from Community Development on the Septic Pumpout Program.
• Received the Six-Month Work Plan for the period January-June, 2019 from County Administrator Percy Ashcraft.
• Denied a budget amendment and appropriation in the amount of $583,616 for the FY18 School Division Carry-Over Funds with Hunter and Waymack dissenting.
• Unanimously approved an appropriation of $1,680 for Go Virginia/Virginia Gateway Region Grant Funds.
• Authorized a Public Hearing on February 12 to consider an Ordinance allocating $.02 of the real estate tax for fire Apparatus Replacement for the Coordinated Fire and EMS System.
• Authorized a Public Hearing on January 22 to consider the dedication of a parcel of land to VDOT on Route 460.