Message from the County Administrator
Happy New Year!
This message is a monthly update in 2019 to better update our citizens and visitors to our website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government offices will be closed Tuesday, January 1 in observance of the New Year holiday. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, January 2.
County Government Offices will also be closed Friday, January 18 and Monday, January 21 in observance of Lee-Jackson Day and the birthday of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, January 22.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its Organizational Meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, January 8 as part of its Worksession. In addition, VDOT will have an update on the ‘Dogbone Roundabout’ project planned for Bull Hill/Courthouse Road in 2021.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its regular meetings this month on Tuesday, January 8 and Tuesday, January 22 beginning at 7 p.m. in the Boardroom.
Members of the Board of Supervisors and County Staff will be attending the Open House for the new Dinwiddie County Government Center from 3-5 p.m. Thursday, January 17.
The Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) will host its Legislative Day from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Thursday, January 31 at the Omni Hotel in Richmond. Members of the Board of Supervisors and County Staff will be in attendance.
Live Christmas tree recycling will continue through January 12 at no charge at the Prince George County Convenience Site located on Union Branch Road. All decorations need to be removed from the tree.
The Prince George Master Gardener Association will continue registration until January 10.
The Riverside Community Criminal Justice Board will hold its next meeting at 4 p.m. Wednesday, January 9 at a location to be determined.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, January 14 in the Boardroom.
The Extension Leadership Council (ELC) will meet at 12:00 Noon Tuesday, January 15 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Prince George Industrial Development Authority (IDA) will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, January 16 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Appomattox Regional Water & South Central Wastewater authorities will meet at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 16 at the Lake Chesdin offices.
VDOT will host a Public Meeting from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 16 at Walton Elementary School to review plans to construct a ‘Dogbone Roundabout’ at the intersection of Bull Hill/Courthouse Road in 2021.
The Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) will meet at 4 p.m. Thursday, January 17 in the Training Room at the Central Wellness Center.
The Fire & EMS Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, January 17 in the Boardroom.
The Petersburg Area Regional Tourism (PART) Board of Directors will meet at 11:00 a.m., Friday, January 18 at the Crater District Planning Offices in Petersburg.
The Prince George Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 23 in the Boardroom.
The Prince George Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, January 24 in the Boardroom.
Fort Lee will host its New Year’s Community Reception at 2 p.m. Sunday, January 27 at the Lee Club.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of January:
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting will receive four reports: (1) VDOT; (2) Utility Connection Fees; (3) RVA Solar Fund; and (4) the Septic Pump Out Program.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting will recognize the winners of the Christmas Decoration Contest; Christmas Card Contest; and Christmas Parade.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting will consider an award of contract to upgrade the entrances at the Administration Building.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting will discuss possible action on overpayment for certain taxicab providers.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting will consider a request from the Public School Division to appropriate $583,616 of Carryover Funds from FY ’18.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting will discuss County Administration’s Six Month Work Plan.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 8 meeting will consider applying for a grant from Go Virginia to assist in marketing economic development properties throughout Prince George County.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 22 meeting will receive the Quarterly Financial Report.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 22 meeting will consider an award of contract for Janitorial Services.
- The Board of Supervisors at its January 22 meeting will hold a public hearing on a request from the Par 5 Development Group to locate a Dollar General Store in the northeast quadrant of Moody Road and James River Drive in Garysville.
- Activities are underway for various Parks & Recreation winter activities and registration is underway for spring events. Information can be received at www. http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov
- Construction will move forward this month on a new fire station along Route 10/Moody Road.
- The new courtroom located in the basement of the Courthouse is approximately 85 percent complete and is expected to be finished in February.
- Construction of stormwater projects in Birchett Estates and Cedar Creek are expected to begin this month.
- Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.