Catchin' Up On
Prince George County Government News
Prince George County, VA October 26, 2018
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Oct. 26-31 - "Shocktober" Event - The Midnight Mausoleum (decorations, scarers, & haunted laser tag) at Swader's Sports Park, 4725 Whitehill Boulevard, Prince George, beginning at 5:00pm daily.
Sat., Oct. 27 - Prince George Farmers' Market - Final Market for the 2018 Season, at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, from 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Sat., Oct. 27 - Ceramic Class - $25/participant, paint large & small pumpkins (must pre-register), at the Prince George Parks & Rec Community Center, 11100 Old Stage Road, from 9:00am - 11:00am.
Sat., Oct. 27 - Special Saturday hours for In-Person Absentee Voting, Prince George Registrar's Office, 2nd Floor of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, from 9:00am - 5:00pm.
Sat., Oct. 27 - National Drug Take Back Day (Fall), hosted by the Prince George Police Dept., in the Police Dept. Parking Lot, 6601 Courthouse Road, 10:00am - 2:00pm.
Sat. Oct. 27 - Memorial Service for former Fire Chief James ("Jimmy") H. Clark, Jr., at First Baptist Church, Hopewell, at 11:00am, followed by interment at Merchants Hope Memorial Gardens. Details.
Sat., Oct. 27 - 3rd Annual Studio Open House with Mr. Ed Hatch, renowned artist and Prince George County resident, at 18817 James River Drive, Spring Grove, VA, from 11:00am - 6:00pm.
Sat., Oct. 27 - 1st Annual Trunk or Treat at Kidco Academy (food, music, games, bouncy house), at 4821 Prince George Drive, Prince George, from 6:00pm - 8:00pm.
Mon., Oct. 29 – Prince George County Board of Supervisors' Retreat will be held at the Central Wellness Center, 11033 Prince George Drive, Disputanta, beginning at 5:00pm.
Mon., Oct. 29 - Benjamin Harrison Bridge - FULL CLOSURE (VDOT will have lanes closed to all vehicular traffic with a full detour in place) from 8:00pm - 6:00am each night.
Tues., Oct. 30 - Last day to request an absentee ballot by mail for the November 6 elections. Contact the Prince George Registrar at 804-722-8748 for more information.
Tues., Oct. 30 - Hopewell/Prince George Chamber Annual Fall Mixer will be held at The Barns of Kanak, 5503 Ruffin Road, Prince George, from 5:00pm - 7:00pm.
Wed., Oct. 31 - Additive Manufacturing Research Day (Pre-registration required) in the CCAM Seminar Room, 5520 W. Quaker Road, Disputanta, from 8:30am - 5:30pm.
Wed. Oct. 31 - Tri-Cities Trunk or Treat, hosted by Destination Church, will be held at the Crossings Shopping Center, 5246 Oaklawn Boulevard, N. Prince George, from 5:00pm - 8:00pm.
Wed., Oct. 31 - Halloween Trick-Or-Treating, Countywide, from 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
Wed., Oct. 31 - "Fall Festival", a FREE community event, hosted by Unity Baptist Church, 4951 Mt. Sinai Road, Prince George, from 6:00pm - 8:30pm.
Nov. 1-16 - "Christmas Card Contest", sponsored by the Prince George Parks & Rec Dept., for County youth ages 3-5. Applications/Entries at the Park & Rec Office, 11100 Old Stage Road, 8:30am - 5:00pm daily.
Thurs., Nov. 1 - Land Use Validation Forms due to the Real Estate Assessors Office, 6602 Court Drive, Prince George. Forms must be postmarked or delivered by 5:00pm.
Thurs., Nov. 1 - "The World of Bats" with Denise Tomlinson of Bat World Hampton Roads, at the Burrowsville Community Center, 18701 James River Drive, Disputanta, beginning at 7:00pm.
Fri., Nov. 2 - Grand Re-Opening Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the United States Army Women's Museum, 2100 Adams Avenue, Fort Lee. Ceremony starts at 2:00pm.
Prince George County Repeats As 'Best Community in Which to Live'
Prince George County repeated as the 'Best Community in Which to Live' in results announced Thursday night in the 'Best of the Best' competition hosted by the Progress-Index at the Beacon Theatre.
Important Things to Know
• VDOT LAP-MAP Announcement. Details.
• 'Bats of the World' Program to feature live bats. Details.
• VDOT announces bridge closure for Benjamin Harrison Bridge. Details.
• Disc golf added to plan for Adventure Park. Details.
• Land use revalidation forms due November 1. Details.
• Medicaid expansion enrollment begins November 1. Details.
• Jackie Bradley Jr., Red Sox lead Dodgers 2-0 in the World Series.
• Commissioner of Revenue issues 15 new businesses licenses since October 12th. Details.
• Still time to vote absentee in November 6 General Election. Details.
• Former General Services Director George Poulson passes away. Blog.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• Previewing Prince George High School Boys Basketball Team. Details.
• Theatre Company of Fort Lee presents the 'Sound of Music.' Details.
• Prince George High School athletic schedule & results. Details.
• Starbuck's adds 'Witch's Brew' this Halloween. Details.
• Prince George County 2018 Christmas Ornament recognizes last school year’s sports champions. Details.
• Previewing Prince George High School Girls Basketball. Details.
• What's showing at the movies in Prince George County? Details.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• Recap of October 23 BOS Meeting. Details.
• Police Department issues safety recommendations for Halloween. Details.
• Flying Squirrels to host Eastern League All-Star Game next July. Details.
• Generations unite to end Alzheimer's. Details.
• Prince George County Government e-mail services to be down Sunday for maintenance.
• Prince George Alliance for Education Foundation Golf Tournament cancels golf tournament for November 3.
• The fall County newsletter has been mailed to all residents and businesses.
• Animal Services Center adopts six dogs and six cats at October 20 Open House.
• Tri-Cities rail station discussion resumes with involved localities being asked to weigh in again on location.
Quote of the Week
"Before we can have a successful relationship with anyone, we first need a perfect personal relationship."
~ Russ Von Hoelscher
Percy C. Ashcraft, County Administrator | Prince George County, VA | (804) 722-8600
Fax (804) 732-3604 | email@example.com | www.princegeorgecountyva.gov