Message from the County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2018 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
County Government Offices will be closed Monday, October 8, in observance of Columbus Day. Offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, October 9.
Trick-or-Treat activities in neighborhoods throughout Prince George County will be held from 5 – 9 p.m. Wednesday, October 31.
Members of the Board of Supervisors & County Staff will be hosting a Renaming Ceremony at the Fort Lee ‘A’ Gate Roundabout in memory of Captain Jesse A. Ozbat at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, October 11.
The Prince George Business Roundtable Alumni Dinner will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, October 24 at the Petersburg Country Club.
The Czech & Slovak Festival will be held from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday, October 20 in the Historic District of the County Complex.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its regular meetings this month on Tuesday, October 9 and Tuesday, October 23 beginning at 7 p.m. in the Boardroom. A worksession will precede the October meeting. Tentative topics to be discussed are: (1) Discussion of Feasibility Study for the Central Wellness Center; (2) Discussion of locating a new convenience center; and (3) 2018 General Assembly Scorecard.
The Prince George Social Services Advisory Board will meet 9 a.m. Monday, October 1 in the Social Services Department.
A Groundbreaking Ceremony will be held at 12:30 p.m. Monday, October 1 for the Virginia Physicians for Women Center located at Puddledock Road.
The Riverside Criminal Justice Board will meet at 3 p.m. Wednesday, October 3 at the Fort Lee Bowling Center.
The Prince George Farmers Market will be held every Saturday in October at 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at Scott Park.
The Appomattox Boat Harbor will continue its ‘Harbor Blast’ Concert Series on October 5, 6 & 13 beginning at 4 p.m.
The Prince George Ruritan Club will host its Annual Seafood & Barbeque Fest from 3– 6 p.m. Saturday, October 20 at Scott Park.
The Prince George School Board will hold two meetings this month: October 8 at 6:30 p.m. and October 22 at 5:30 p.m. Both meetings are in the Boardroom.
The Prince George County Capital Improvements Committee will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday, October 3, 10 & 24 in the Kines Breakroom.
A Community Input meeting for the Prince George Economic Development & Tourism Strategic Plan will be held at 12:00 Noon Thursday, October 4 at the Hopewell-Prince George Chamber of Commerce
The Appomattox River Water & Wastewater authorities will meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, October 18 at the Petersburg offices.
The Hopewell-Prince George Crime Solvers will hold its ‘Annual Rib Fest’ from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, October 4 at Scott Park.
The Hopewell-Prince George Chamber of Commerce Annual Mixer will be held from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday, October 30 at the Barns of Kanak.
The Friends of Burrowsville School will hold its Annual Fall Plant Sale on Saturday, October 6 from 8 a.m. – 12:00 Noon at the Burrowsville Community Center.
A USSSA Travel Baseball Tournament for Even-Age Groups will be held October 6-7 beginning at 8 a.m. daily at Prince George County fields.
‘War Dog Day & Pet Adoption’ will be held form 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 6 at the Petersburg National Battlefield.
The Extension Leadership Council (ELC) will meet at 12:00 Noon Tuesday, October 9 in the Community Room.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, October 18 in the Boardroom.
The Fort Lee Federal Credit Union will host a free Shred Event from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Saturday, October 13 at its location on Crossings Boulevard.
The Prince George Industrial Development Authority (IDA) will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, October 17 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The ‘Great American Shake Out’ drill for County employees will be held at 10:18 a.m. Thursday, October 18.
The Prince George Animal Services & Adoption Center will hold an ‘Open House’ from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 20.
Parks & Recreation will host its Annual Harvest Festival from 5-8 p.m. Saturday, October 20 at Temple Park.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, October 22 in the Kines Breakroom.
The Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, October 25 in the Boardroom.
The Cameron Foundation will hold its Annual Ceremony & Reception from 4-6:30 p.m. Thursday, October 25 at Union Train Station in Petersburg.
Richard Bland College will hold its 3rd Annual Pecan Festival from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. October 27-28.
The Prince George Police Department will host National Drug Take Back Day from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 27 in the Police Department Parking Lot.
The Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM) will host ‘Additive Manufacturing Research Day’ at 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Thursday, October 31.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of October:
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 9 meeting will receive five reports: (1) VDOT; (2) Hopewell-Prince George Healthy Families; (3) Back to School Fair; (4) Kids Count; and (5) 2018 General Assembly Scorecard.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 9 meeting will resume discussion on a Special Exception for Tree Times Adventures, Inc. to permit an adventure park at New Scott Park.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 9 meeting will consider a new Streetlight Policy.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 9 meeting will consider an appointment of a Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 9 meeting will hold three public hearings: (1) Amendment to the Utility Ordinance; (2) Economic Development & Tourism Strategic Plan; and (3) Ordinance amendment to provide for the appointment of a Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 23 meeting will receive the Quarterly Financial Report.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 23 meeting will consider an Award of Contract for a feasibility study at the Central Wellness Center.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 23 meeting will consider changes to two employee personnel policies: (1) Grievance procedure; and (2) Dress code.
- The Board of Supervisors at its October 23 meeting will hold a public hearing for abandonment of a section of Chudoba Parkway.
- Fall sports activities are underway and registration will begin soon for various Parks & Recreation winter activities. Information can be received at www. http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- Construction will move forward this month on a new fire station along Route 10/Moody Road.
- County residents are urged to separate recycled items from household waste when they take items to the convenience locations or in utilizing curb-side service. This is a growing local, state and national problem.
- The new courtroom located in the basement of the Courthouse is approximately 60 percent complete.
- The ‘Prince George the Man’ exhibit located in the lobby of the County Administration Building is open for public viewing during normal business hours.
- Prince George County has received two Platinum Awards from the Virginia Municipal League for Community Wellness and ‘Go Green’ initiatives.
- The 2018 Prince George County holiday ornament will feature the state championships earned by Prince George High School in track, wrestling, softball and baseball.