Catchin' Up On
Prince George County Government News
Prince George County, VA September 14, 2018
Upcoming Meetings & Events
Sept. 14-15 - "Awake Align Arise", a women's conference, hosted by Redemption Conference Center, 5201 Courthouse Road, Prince George, VA 23875. The conference runs 7pm Friday to 3pm Saturday.
Sept. 15-Oct. 20 - "Count Dracula", by Ted Tiller, based on Bram Stoker's noval, at the Swift Creek Mill Theatre, 17401 Jefferson Davis Hwy., S.Chesterfield 23834.8:00pm showtime.
Mon., Sept. 17 - Benzer Puddledock Pharmacy Ribbon Cutting will be hosted by the Hopewell/Prince George Chamber of Commerce, at 4720 Puddledock Road, Suite 110, Prince George, beginning at 10:00am.
Mon., Sept. 17 - Community Reception: Meet & Greet New Leaders of the Combined Arms Support Command and Ft. Lee at The Lee Club, Bldg. 9009, Battle Drive, Ft. Lee, beginning at 10:30am.
Mon., Sept. 17 - "Mobile Veteran Resource Center", presented by Del. Emily Brewer, in the Prince George Human Services Office, 6450 Administration Drive, 10:00am - 4:00pm.
Mon., Sept. 17 - Ladies Auxiliary Meeting (Burrowsville Volunteer Fire Department) will be held at Burrowsville Community Center, 18701 James River Drive, Disputanta, at 7:00pm.
Tues., Sept. 18 - Federation of Virginia Food Banks Elected Officials Day to pack weekend backpacks for children in need, at FeedMore, 1601 Rhoadmiller Street, Richmond, from 9:00am - 12:00pm.
Wed., Sept. 19 - "Increase $ales For Your Small Business", a FREE workshop presented by Crater SBDC of Longwood University, will be held at the Prince George Public Library, 6605 Courts Drive, from 3:00pm - 5:00pm.
Wed., Sept. 19 - The Great Beefsteak Raid 10th Annual Dinner at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, from 4:00pm - 7:00pm. Tickets are $30 to benefit the new Fire & EMS Museum.
Wed., Sept. 19 - Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) Committee will meet in the Kines Employee Break Room, 2nd Floor of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, from 6:00pm - 9:00pm.
Thurs., Sept. 20 - Perkin' & Ribbon Cutting, a Hopewell/Prince George Chamber Meeting and Event, will be held at Partners Personnel, 7061 Commons Plaza, Suite. B, Chesterfield, from 8:00am - 9:00pm.
Thurs., Sept. 20 - United Way of Hopewell/Prince George will hold its 2018-2019 Campaign Kickoff at John Randolph Foundation, 112 N. Main Street, Hopewell, beginning at 11:30am.
Thurs., Sept. 20 – The Prince George LEPC (Local Emergency Planning Committee) will meet at the Prince George EOC Building, 6520 Laurel Spring Road, from 4:00pm - 5:00pm.
Thurs., Sept. 20 - Crater MPO Policy Committee Meeting (rescheduled from Sept. 13th), will be held at the Petersburg Multi-Modal Transit Center, 100 W.Washington Street, beginning at 4:30pm.
Thurs., Sept. 20 - Celebrate Recovery Month with Riverside Criminal Justice Agency at Scott Park Pavilion, 6380 Scott Memorial Park Road, Prince George, from 5:30pm - 7:00pm.
Thurs., Sept. 20 - Prince George Fire/EMS Advisory Board will meet in the 3rd Floor Board Room of the Administration Building, 6602 Courts Drive, at 7:00pm.
Fri., Sept. 21 - Crater Youth Care Commission will meet at the Green House Facility, 6102 County Drive, Disputanta, at 9:00am.
Fri., Sept. 21 - Petersburg Area Regional Tourism (PART) Board Meeting will be held in the Crater PDC Conference Room, 1964 Wakefield Avenue, Petersburg, VA 23805, at 11:00am.
Fri., Sept. 21 - PGHS Royals Varsity Football Team will take on Dinwiddie HS at Dinwiddie HS Athletic Field, 11608 Courthouse Road, Dinwiddie, VA 23841. 7:00pm kickoff.
Residents Still Need to be Prepared Despite Lesser Impacts from Florence
It might not turn out to be as serious as once predicted, but Hurricane Florence will still have some impact on weather conditions this weekend in and around Prince George County. Emergency Management personnel are urging residents to be prepared in the event of power outages and other weather-related situations. Details.
Important Things to Know
• Open casting calls in Richmond, Petersburg for Harriet Tubman Feature Film. Details.
• Land use revalidation forms due November 1. Details.
• Environmental Public Notice. Details.
• Recap of September 11 BOS Meeting. Details.
• State Fair gearing up for another year. Details.
• County Administrator Blogs. Details.
• Regional employment opportunities. Details.
• Subway's $5 meal deal no longer an option. Details.
• Prince George High School graduate returns to teach the next generation. Details.
• World traveler teaching Spanish at Prince George High School. Details.
• From part-time pastime to full-time passion for special education teacher. Details.
• Prince George High School teacher sets goals outside of learning. Details.
• UVA, William & Mary rank high among nation's colleges. Details.
• Spending increases for area tourism. Details.
• Science Museum of Virginia changes hours. Details.
• Former Prince George County Administrator William Johnson named City Manager for Emporia.
• Wendy’s Restaurants are giving away free cheeseburgers for the rest of September.
• Latest Prince George County Gasoline Prices. Details.
• Commissioner of the Revenue issues 12 new business licenses since August 31. Details.
Quote of the Week
"We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance."