The Board of Supervisors at its July 11 meeting voted to give tax relief to certain spouses of public safety personnel killed in the line of duty.
By unanimous vote, the BOS followed enabling legislation to offer a real estate exemption for the surviving spouses of any law-enforcement officer, firefighter, search and rescue personnel or emergency medical services personnel who is killed in the line of duty.
The tax exemption applies to the surviving spouse’s principal place of residence, even if he or she moves to a new principal place of residence.
Other matters to come before the BOS at its worksession and meeting:
• Discussed utility revisions related to residential growth in the planning area.
• Discussed a proposal to place a Computer Lab in the Central Wellness Center.
• Presented commendations to Eagle Scouts Bryce Marsee & Cameron Philpot.
• Received the monthly report from VDOT.
• Received a report from Jason Williams of Waste Management regarding odor issues stemming from the Sussex County Landfill.
• Unanimously approved a resolution to issue a contract of $929,600 to Southwood Building Systems for construction services for the South Crater Road Rehabilitation Project.
• Unanimously approved an appropriation of $400,000 to purchase police vehicles.
• Unanimously approved a resolution appropriating $158,141 for garage fuel tanks, software & fuel canopy replacement project.
• Unanimously approved entering the formal process for renewal of the Comcast franchise agreement.
• Unanimously approved authorizing advertisement for a public hearing for recovery of costs for responding to false alarms.
• Unanimously approved a Budget transfer of $447,307.16 to the Capital Improvement Project Fund for expenses related to construction of the Route 10 Fire Station.
• Unanimously approved changes to the Position Control Chart for employees in Community Development & Code Compliance.
• Agreed to authorize Staff to begin negotiating a shared water agreement with the City of Petersburg for property located near Rives Road.
• Reviewed the Administration’s Six Month Work Plan.
• Unanimously approved the sale of the River’s Edge Lagoon Property for a minimum price of $5,050.
• Unanimously approved Phase I of upgrading the HVAC system in the Human Services Building by awarding a contract of $33,475 to CII.